18 May 2009

Today is Graduation Day

Well, not for me (I have four weeks left), but for thousands of others this weekend (or the next couple) marks the end of their educational journey. While I have been trying not to be all nostalgic about my own previous two graduations - not that I can really remember a single thing about either - I have been thinking about what I would say if I were asked to speak at the graduation of either of my kids (Thank God that is a long ways coming). Here are some thoughts that I would try to convey.

PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION

Everyday you "suit-up" for a game. Play to win. Only losers say, "No matter what happens, I'm just happy to be here." Play fair. Play with integrity and honesty.

THE MEANS NEVER JUSTIFIES THE END

I remember learning golf from my Grandfather. The most important lesson was "count every shot (defined as an interaction between the ball and the club)". Play your life like a golf game - straight, aim for the target, respect the rules, and be gracious to the other players.

BE NICE

There was a slogan that went around when I was working on my undergrad - "Mean People Suck". That saying is as true today as it ever was. There is absolutely no reason to be mean to people. It will do nothing to further your career or your life.

BEING RESPECTED IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING LIKED

The popular way is not always the best way. Don't be afraid to go against the grain and make a tough call. People will respect you for it. They may not like you, but they will respect you.

HAVE FUN

Play. Alot. You will find life to be stressful. You will find business to be stressful. The old saying is true; all work and no play will make you dull. Find outlets for the stress. Play golf. Play basketball. Play tennis. Play video games. Just play.

NETWORK

A recent study in the British Medical Journal (http://tinyurl.com/563wmj) illustrates the impact of the social network on up to three degrees of separation. In a separate study that also appeared in the British Medical Journal (http://tinyurl.com/6f5dhv) (subscription required), we find research that supports a correlation between one's social network and one's health. All that to say that your social network should be ever expanding. Yet, don't allow yourself to confine that network to a web-presence. The web is a way to enhance the network, and should not be treated as a replacement for 30-inch interactions. My friend, Mark Shead authored an excellent article (http://tinyurl.com/cb8oxz) titled "9 Steps Towards Genuine and Effective Networking" where he outlines ways to bring the network to the 30-inch level.

LOVE WHAT YOU DO

This is critical. In a commencement address to Stanford University (http://tinyurl.com/4lxnfh), Steve Jobs said that every morning you should look in the mirror and ask yourself, "If this were the last day of my life, would I be doing what I have planned for today?" He went on to say that if the answer was "No" for several days in a row then it was likely time to go do something else. If you don't love what you do, then burn out will set in and you will lose effectiveness and relevance.

NEVER STOP LEARNING

You will never know everything that there is to know about a subject. Learn. Always.

READ ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

For Christmas in 1981, my Uncle Jack gave me a copy of this great Lewis Carroll work. On the inside he wrote the admonition to "read it again when you are 30". Since 1981, I have read this literary masterpiece no less than 25 times. I recently had the pleasure of taking my four-year-old on Alice's adventures with me. Yes, the story is total nonsense, but the exercise that it gives your imagination is priceless.

LISTEN TO MUSIC

Do not trap yourself within a single genre. Challenge your ears.

REMEMBER THAT LIFE IS BIGGER THAN YOU

You are on this planet for one reason. That reason is very simple. Make someone's life better. If you can always remember this, then you can mark your life a success.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: