21 May 2009

Let's go 'round one more time again

Today I completed trip number 35 around the sun and began trip number 36. For those keeping count, that's 20,988,000,000 miles traveled. There are a lot of great memories in those miles!

I decided to write a blog to reflect on this past trip around. All-in-all it was fun. There were a couple of rough spots that mainly centered on a deep struggle between myself and a lawn-mower. In the end, I won. Of course, it cost me the price of a new mower.

My oldest turned four and my youngest turned one. Their mother and I passed six great years of being married.

My Granny scared us by falling and breaking a hip. Fortunately, she is recovering quite well.

Emily learned to read. Steph learned to teach Kindergarten. I learned to worry about the cost of MIT.

I finished all of my actual course work for my Master's Degree in Project Management.

My company was bought.

Thanks to a wonderfully understanding and sharing family I got to spend my Uncle Jack's birthday with him in Napa, CA. It was (and will always be) one of my favorite trips of my life.

I read a few books.

I laughed a lot of laughs.

I got to take my daughter to see Hillary Clinton.

I was able to vote for an African-American to be President, and got to sit and hold my daughter as he took the oath of office. That was something that I was almost certain I would never see happen in my lifetime.

I was able to meet many new friends and reconnect with many old friends.

It has been another blessed year. I am grateful for the ride.

And one of my favorite Jimmy Buffett songs (video here):

Hear 'em singing Happy Birthday,
Better think about the wish I make.
This year gone by ain't been a piece of cake.
Every day's a revolution,
Pull it together and it comes undone.
Just one more candle and a trip around the sun.

I'm just hangin' on while this old world keeps spinnin',
And it's good to know it's out of my control.
If there's one thing I've learned from all this livin',
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go.

No, you never see it comin':
Always wind up wondering where it went.
Only time will tell if it was time well spent.
It's another revelation,
Celebratin' what I should have done,
With these souvenirs of my trip around the sun.

I'm just hangin' on while this old world keeps spinnin',
And it's good to know it's out of my control.
If there's one thing I've learned from all this livin',
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go.

Yes, I'll make a resolution,
That I'll never make another one.
Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun.
Just enjoy this ride, (One more trip around the sun.)
Until it's done. (One more trip around the sun.)
(One more trip around the sun.)

(Trip Around The Sun - Jimmy Buffett/Martina McBride)
(Al Anderson/Steve Burton/Sharon Vaughn)

Let's go 'round one more time again!



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: